Below is a list of the electronic databases and resources most frequently used by USA Biomedical students, faculty and staff. To access a specific database/resources select from the list below. Additional resources can be found on the University Library's site.
"contains full-text versions of a number of major medical texts including Hurst's The Heart
, Harrison's Online
and Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease
(MMBID). Among other things AccessMedicine also includes a USMLE study resource, Diagnosaurus (McGraw-Hill's differential diagnosis tool), Practice Guidelines (from Current Practice Guidelines in Primary Care
), patient education information, and health news."
"is an integrated online resource that provides medical students, surgical residents, and practicing surgeons with quick answers to surgical inquiries from trusted sources. Organized around the ACGME's (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education) mandate for a Core Curriculum, AccessSurgery
delivers content in context.
Bates Visual Guide
delivers head-to-toe and systems-based physical examination techniques for the (Advanced) Assessment or Introduction to Clinical Medicine course. Bates' Visual Guide features Bates' physical examinations skills videos, as well as OSCE Clinical Skills videos.
(from EBSCO) The library's access point to the Cumulated Index of Nursing and Allied Health database. EBSCO actually provides access to two databases: CINAHL Plus with Full-Text and Pre-CINAHL. CINAHL Plus with Full-Text provides indexing for nearly 2000 journals from the nursing and allied health fields. In addition to full-text journals, the database also contains dissertations, conference proceedings, practice standards, educational software, book chapters and Evidence-Based Care Sheets. PreCINAHL provides access to brand new, not-yet indexed articles from the Nursing and Allied Health professional journals. Advanced Search Tutorial
- Help Sheets
- Using Headings
Clinical Evidence integrates systematic reviews with a range of additional evidence based medicine (EBM) resources to create a powerful support tool, providing busy clinicians with access to the very latest and most relevant medical knowledge for treatment decisions. It is owned by BMJ Publishing Group.
Provides access to hundreds of medical and surgical journals and e-books along-side guidelines, point-of-care and drug monographs,videos, images, and procedure and patient education docments. This comprehensive search engine for Elsevier's medical literature also searches MEDLINE abstracts and clinical trials and provides CME opportunities.
*HTML version of chapters provided. Some titles are available in PDF format. To view PDF files you must create a FREE "User Profile" and login.
"leverages 21st century technology to deliver real-time drug information, efficient clinical tools, and multiple delivery formats – empowering healthcare professionals with a current, reliable solution... [w]ritten by healthcare professionals for healthcare professionals."
"is a collection of databases that contain high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. Cochrane reviews represent the highest level of evidence on which to base clinical treatment decisions. In addition to Cochrane reviews, The Cochrane Library
provides other sources of reliable information, from other systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials – all the current evidence in one single environment." : basic : advanced
is a clinical reference tool created by physicians for physicians and other health care professionals for use primarily at the 'point-of-care'. DynaMed
is updated daily and monitors the content of over 500 medical journals and systematic evidence review databases directly and indirectly by using many journal review services. Each publication is reviewed cover-to-cover, and each article is evaluated for clinical relevance and scientific validity. The new evidence is then integrated with existing content, and overall conclusions are changed as appropriate representing a synthesis of the best available evidence."
EBSCO Medical Databases
includes: CINAHL Plus with Full Text
, MEDLINE with Full Text
, Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
, Health Source - Consumer Edition
, Health Business Fulltext Elite
, and Alt HealthWatch
Exam Master Online
provides "exam preparation and review software to medical students (USMLE exams), residents (USMLE and Board Certification), and physicians (Board Certification and SPEX)."
includes WorldCat, Article1st, Contents1st, ECO (full text scholarly journals online), ERIC, Proceedings, GPO, and more.
is a way to search a a large number of scholarly literature citations using the intuitive Google search interface. When you search Google Scholar from the USA campus, or through the links on this page when you are off campus, links appear after each result that allow you to automatically search our collection for the full text of these articles.
Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HAPI)
"measurement instruments for any medical or medically related condition or treatment outcome that clinicians must ask a patient about...
Health and Psychosocial Instruments features material on unpublished information-gathering tools for clinicians that are discussed in journal articles, such as questionnaires, interview schedules, tests, checklists, rating and other scales, coding schemes, and projective techniques."
Integrated Medical Curriculum
) is a world-class website offering major courses taught in medical school. The IMC
was developed from Gold Standard Multimedia's core collection of medical education CD-ROM products...IMC
is especially applicable to the first two years of medical school, as DxR's products cover a majority of subjects studied during those years. But the programs contained in the IMC
also reach beyond the first two years of study and are used by third and fourth year medical students, interns, residents and practicing physicians. Other medical fields, such as dentistry, optometry, podiatry, physical therapy, physician assistant, pharmacy, nursing, chiropractic and sports medicine programs, as well as pre-med and other undergraduate programs, will also find IMC's
comprehensive content to be of great value."
Joanna Briggs Institute Evidence Based Practice database
- Joanna Briggs Institute is a leading source in evidence-based practice content. The JBI EBP database contains systematic reviews, evidence summaries, best practice information sheets, consumer information sheets, systematic review protocols, and technical reports all searchable through the Ovid interface.
Journal Citation Reports
"presents quantifiable statistical data that provides a systematic, objective way to evaluate the world's leading journals and their impact and influence in the global research community."
Jove Science Education
is a video database dedicated to teaching laboratory fundamentals through simple, easy to understand video demonstrations. Video categories include General Laboratory Techniques, Basic Methods in Cellular and Molecular Biology, and Model Organisms.
is a drug database offering drug monographs, dose calculators, interaction and toxicology information, IV compatibility, drug ID, and patient education materials. - Online Tour
"brings the leading medical resources together into one integrated online service to help physicians efficiently find answers to pressing clinical questions and make better treatment decisions...[t]he site is designed to meet the exacting needs of clinical practitioners, providing practical and time-saving features that let you quickly access the precise information you need."
MEDLINE (OVID) / MEDLINE Plus with Full Text (EBSCO)
MEDLINE is "a huge database of over 16 million references to articles published in more than 5,200 current biomedical journals from the United States and over 80 foreign countries...for references to articles published 1949 - to the present."
"This actionable information [resource] spans drugs, diseases, acute care, toxicology, alternative medicines, as well as a comprehensive tool to educate patients. Having all of this in a clutter-free, easy-to-navigate interface saves clinicians time and promotes best practices."
National Guideline Clearinghouse
"The National Guideline Clearinghouse™ (NGC) is a comprehensive database of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and related documents. NGC is an initiative of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."
"Gateway is 'One-stop shopping'
for an increasing number of the information resources of the National Library of Medicine (NLM). It's targeted to the Internet user who comes to NLM not knowing exactly what is here, or how best to search for it. A single interface that searches in multiple retrieval systems"...including: .MEDLINE/PubMed, LOCATORplus, MEDLINEplus, ClinicalTrials.gov
, DIRLINE, Meeting Abstracts, and HSRProj."
Evidence-based summaries featuring the Number Needed to Treat and the Number Needed to Harm for a range of common conditions, including diagnosis and therapy sections - theNNT Tour
"is a database that contains abstracts of systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy. Trials have been critically appraised and rated to assist you to evaluate their validity and interpretability."
- PEDro, the Physiotherapy Evidence Database, is a free database of randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy.
- "3D human anatomy medical software for education, for students, professional and educators. Resource for 3D anatomy images and animations."
- " an abstract database of psychological literature from the 1800s to the present. An essential tool for researchers, PsycINFO combines a wealth of content with precise indexing so you can get just what you need easily. PsycINFO contains bibliographic citations, abstracts, cited references, and descriptive information to help you find what you need across a wide variety of scholarly publications in the behavioral and social sciences."
- "Provides free access to MEDLINE, NLM's database of citations and abstracts in the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health care systems, and preclinical sciences." PubMed also contains: In-process citations, citations that precede the date that a journal was selected for MEDLINE indexing, and citations to articles that are out-of-scope from certain MEDLINE journals. Quick Tours
- Free resource, requires user to create login. Searchable physical therapy database and email alert service provided by McMaster University. This service is unique: all citations (from over 110 premier clinical journals) are pre-rated for quality by research staff, then rated for clinical relevance and interest by at least 3 members of a worldwide panel of practicing occupational and physical therapists.
- ScienceDirect offers full-text access to journals from 16 fields of science, including the social sciences. Full-text is available from approximately 600 journals subscribed to by the University of South Alabama
- Users must register with CAS
from a campus computer and receive a login name and password using their USA email address to use this resource. SciFinder includes journal and patent citations along with organic and inorganic substance information. USA has only 3 simultaneous users, shared with 5 other schools.
- A multidisciplinary navigational tool for accessing scientific information. Scopus covers 14,000 peer-reviewed titles from 4,000 publishers and includes an integrated Web search via Scirus. The database includes approximately 27 million abstracts, extended with references and (forward) citations (i.e., citation searching).
- "Provided by the Sport Information Resource Centre, SPORTDiscus offers comprehensive, bibliographic coverage of sport, fitness and related disciplines. This database contains well over 1,392,000 records with journal and monograph coverage going back to 1800; over 22,000 dissertations and theses and reference to articles in 60 different languages."
- Springer database containing protocols, e-books, journal articles. Also indexes content not owned by USA.
- "ProQuest Statistical Datasets is a web-based research solutions tool that provides fast and easy access to data from licensed and public domain datasets within an easy to use interface. With this dynamic tool, you can scan the contents of the collection, select subjects and variables of interest, and view your data in side-by-side tables and charts."
- Help Guide